Since we are currently in only one of two AAU live periods during the calendar year, recruiting news has been all over the internet. With a jam packed slate of AAU events not limited to this list of headliners, head coaches, assistants, high school players and recruiting analysts have been all over the country within the first two weeks of this busy month.
Unfortunately, I haven't personally attended any events (I was going to attend the Reebok Challenge in Philadelphia but I haven't yet moved into my apartment near Philly). To make up for it, I have been scouring the blogosphere for as much information as I can on how the Seton Hall targets are performing, if they've narrowed their lists and any new targets that have popped up on the recruiting trails.
The following is a summary of what took place during the first half (July 6th - July 11th) of the first live period.
Reebok Challenge (July 5th - 9th, Philadelphia University, PA):
Seton Hall targets Reggie Cameron, Kareem Canty, Chris Bolden, Quenton DeCosey, Jason Boswell, Darrick Wood, Mike Young, Kavon Stewart, Daniel Dingle, TJ Parker, Miles Overton & Kamari Murphy were all at the Reebok Challenge.
The event opened to college coaches on July 6th, Kevin Willard & Shaheen Holloway were in attendance for the first day of the event.
- Seton Hall is among a few schools that are showing Reggie Cameron the most love.
- It looks like Seton Hall has dropped out of the Chris Bolden race.
- Seton Hall will probably miss out on Daniel Dingle's final list.
- Jason Boswell has transferred from St. Patrick's (NJ) to Trinity Catholic (Conn.)
- Quenton Decosey was offered by St. Joe's, West Virginia and George Washington yesterday. Jerry Carino also wrote a feature on how Quenton's recruitment is blowing up.
- Kareem Canty has expanded his list to include Washington, Providence, Oklahoma, UCLA and Baylor. He plans on visiting Florida State and Miami (FL) in August.
For more on the Lebron James Skills Academy, the Hoop Group Elite Team Camp and more, follow the jump.
Lebron James Skills Academy (July 5th - July 8th):
After attending the Reebok Challenge on the 6th, Willard & Holloway traveled to Akron to attend the Lebron James Skills Academy. Seton Hall targets Kyle Anderson, Austin Colbert, Rondae Jefferson, Dakari Johnson, Arnaud Moto & Tyler Roberson were present.
Willard and Holloway were found by Adam Zagoria watching over 2012 must-get Kyle Anderson:
Adam Zagoria also sat down with Kevin Willard to talk recruiting and such while in Akron.
- Austin Colbert, who attended the LBSA, failed to mention Seton Hall when he spoke to NBESports. Pending a miracle, it looks like Colbert is out of reach.
Adidas Invitational (July 6th - 9th):
There wasn't too much information on my Twitter feed about the Adidas Invitational and only one bit about Javan Felix, who attended the event. Additionally, I emailed the Invitational staff for a complete roster (there was none on their site) and was not answered.
Hoop Group Elite Team Camp (July 9th - 10th):
After attending the Lebron James Skills Academy, Kevin Willard and Shaheen Holloway traveled to Albright College in Reading, PA for the Hoop Group Elite Team Camp. The high school team tournament included several schools with Seton Hall targets on their rosters (St. Anthony, NJ ... Gonzaga, DC ... St. Joe's - Metuchen, NJ ... Hudson Catholic, NJ).
St. Anthony (Hallice Cooke, Kyle Anderson, Josh Brown) won the tournament over Neumann-Goretti 61-53. I watched a few minutes of the game on the internet and Kyle Anderson was fantastic:
Here is an awesome mixtape of Kyle Anderson at the HG Elite Camp.
As you probably already know, Anderson decided that his college decision deadline will be September 20th. He told NBESports this weekend that Seton Hall is still recruiting him the hardest.
- Seton Hall spoke with 2013 PF Kris Jenkins (Gonzaga, DC) after watching him at the Hoop Group Elite Camp this weekend.
Hoop Group Summer Classic East (July 11 - 12th):
Coach Willard tweeted to me yesterday morning that he would be attending this event and then travel to South Carolina for the Nike EYBL Peach Jam today.
Willard watched Davon Reed, Rondae Jefferson, Terrence Samuel, Shamiek Sheppard, Jordan Washington, and Tyler Roberson yesterday. Sheppard, Washington and Samuel are new targets.
- According to Rivals.com, Seton Hall has offered Jordan Washington (Pathways Prep, NY) - #85 overall by Rivals, #41 by ESPN. Washington told the New York Post that he has received significant interest from Seton Hall.
Nike EYBL Peach Jam (July 12th - 15th):
Coach Willard left for the Peach Jam this morning. There are twenty Seton Hall targets who will be playing in the event, here is the list (AAU team in parenthesis):
2012 PG Madison Jones (CP3), 2012 F Negus Webster-Chan (CIA Bounce), 2013 G Xavier Rathan-Mayes (CIA Bounce), 2013 PG Tyler Ennis (CIA Bounce), 2012 PF Richard Peters (CIA Bounce), 2013 F Jason Boswell (NY Gauchos), 2012 SG Melvin Johnson (NY Gauchos), 2013 F Glenn Feidanga (Team Florida), 2012 F Kale Abrahamson (All Iowa Attack), 2012 F Arnaud Moto (Team Takeover), 2012 PF Jerami Grant (Team Takeover), 2013 F Beejay Anya (Team Takeover), 2013 G Rene Castro (BABC), 2012 G Domoniq Bull (BABC), 2013 F Rondae Jefferson (Team Final), 2013 G Davon Reed (Team Final), 2012 C Phil Nolan (Playground Elite), 2012 G Darrick Wood (Playaz Basketball Club), 2012 G/F Kyle Anderson (Playaz Basketball Club), 2013 PF Mike Young (Playaz Basketball Club)
Total: 20 (not counting Austin Colbert of Team Final).
- Seton Hall target Glenn Feidanga reclassified from 2012 to 2013, according to the Nike EBYL website.
- The Peach Jam final will be broadcasted on ESPN.
Assorted Recruiting Tidbits:
- Seton Hall is involved with 2012 F Ramon Johnson (Robinson School, NJ) who reclassified from 2011 to 2012 this past spring. Beyond Seton Hall, Johnson also lists Dayton, Providence, VCU, George Mason, Hofstra, Marshall, Drexel, Buffalo, Manhattan, UNCC, and Coastal Carolina.
- 2013 G Hallice Cooke (St. Anthony, NJ) has a current list of Seton Hall, Texas Tech, Temple, Richmond, Notre Dame, Iona, Rice, St. Joe's, FAU and Quinnipiac. Here is Alex Kline's feature on Cooke.
Here is a quote from NBESports from Cooke about Seton Hall:
They’re actually recruiting me the hardest, show me the most love [and I] came to a couple games and stuff . . . Like the situation, like what Kevin Willard does with players. Plus, I’m from Jersey.
- Alex Kline also wrote a feature on Seton Hall 2013 G target Geno Thorpe. Thorpe has a list of Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Wisconsin, Kansas State, Baylor and Gonzaga. Word is that Pittsburgh and Rutgers might be his favorites.
- Seton Hall JUCO SG target DeShun Garrett is set to decide soon. With the acquisition of Brian Oliver, I'd say Garrett won't be coming to South Orange.
- Seton Hall is still involved with 2013 PG Nate Britt, one of the best floor generals in his class.
- 2013 G/F John Davis is a new target.
- 2013 G Rysheed Jordan listed Seton Hall, Pittsburgh, St. John's, Arizona, Georgetown and more. Jordan is a new target.
- Seton Hall and Loyola Marymount have expressed interest in 2012 center Tobe Okafor. Alex Kline thinks he is a diamond in the rough.
- 2013 PG target Xavier Rathan-Mayes has decided to transfer to Huntington Prep (W. Va). He is cousins of current Huntington player Negus Webster-Chan (2012) who is also a target.
- Seton Hall has offered 2013 SG Kevin Johnson of Summit Country Day School (OH). Johnson also claims offers from Xavier, Cincinnati, Dayton, Wisconsin, Ohio and Toledo. He has interest from Illinois.
Look forward to one or two more pieces like this that recap the Peach Jam and the second live period in July (22nd -31st). There is still plenty of AAU basketball to be watched, players to be targeted and relationships to be formed by the Seton Hall coaching staff. We'll try to cover as much as we possibly can.