What do you think of the potential Daniel Dingle, Kyle Anderson, Kamari Murphy and Kareem Canty package deal rumor? (NY Post)
With the 2011-12 college basketball season fast approaching, the never ending grind that is recruiting continues to churn out significant news.
Long time 2012 target Stefan Jankovic (Ontario, Canada) eliminated Seton Hall from his list this past week. It looks like Wake Forest is leading for the 6'10'' Canadian center, who plays for Huntington Prep (WV.) Jankovic's teammate at Huntington, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, also removed Seton Hall from his list of potential suitors. Like Jankovic, Rathan-Mayes is a 2013 prospect after reclassifying from the Class of 2014 this spring.
Continuing down this path of great recruiting news are the commitments of 2012 targets Kale Abrahamson (Northwestern) and Javan Felix (Texas). Neither player was seriously considering Seton Hall so this doesn't come as a surprise to me.
Despite a tweet by one of his teammates, 2012 SF target Quenton DeCosey (Roselle Catholic HS, N.J.) did not announce his commitment yesterday. Additionally, it has been rumored that DeCosey is down to Richmond, Penn State and Temple -- he visited Richmond this weekend. This news comes a week after Alex Kline tweeted that DeCosey was trying to setup a visit to Seton Hall.
Now, the good news. 2012 F target Daniel Dingle of St. Raymond's (NY) and the LI Lightning has Seton Hall on his list of seven schools. His older brother and AAU coach Dana Dingle told Adam Zagoria that Daniel will take home visits from these seven schools in September and then choose three schools to take officials to in October. In this piece from NYCHoops.com, the there is a possibility of Dingle committing to the same school as his AAU teammate Kamari Murphy. Rumors have been floating around on Twitter and message boards that Murphy is being seriously considered by Seton Hall in some type of package commitment deal with Dingle, Kyle Anderson and Kareem Canty. Despite these rumors, Murphy has cut his list to eight schools and Seton Hall is not among them - nor have they been for quite some time. Dingle and Murphy have both been offered by Missouri, Auburn and Temple.
The recruitment of 2013 guard Geno Thorpe has picked up significantly this summer. The Shaler Area HS standout has recently planned a visit to Big Ten powerhouse Wisconsin and is actively considering Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Marquette, Wisconsin, Baylor, Kansas State and Ohio (State?). While that NBE article says Ohio is on Thorpe's list, I'm pretty sure that is a typo as he has had Ohio State on his list in previous pieces and the Buckeyes were actually his favorite last year. Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Kansas State, Seton Hall and Ohio have offered.
As highlighted in this piece, 2013 F Reggie Cameron visited Seton Hall earlier this month. Cameron told NBESports that he "...had a really good time. I was impressed of how much my ex-Paterson Catholic teammate Fuquan Edwin was improving his game." While that quote could just be filler, never underestimate the ability of current players to recruit potential players, e.g. Jordan Theodore with Brian Oliver.
Chris Obekpa, a 2012 PF target, had a great summer on the AAU circuit which in turn bumped him into the latest ESPN and CBSSports Top 100 rankings. The big man from Our Savior New American (N.Y.) is receiving heavy interest from Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Providence and St. John's in regards to setting up a visit. All but St. John's have offered Obekpa a scholarship.
For a bunch of recruiting tidbits, follow the jump.
- Surprisingly, Seton Hall has made 2012 SG Darrick Wood's (NIA Prep, N.J.) list of seven schools.
- Seton Hall 2013 PG target Rene Castro will attend Worcester Academy (MA) for his junior year.
- Alex Kline's feature on 2014 target Quadri Moore.
- 2013 G target Rasheed Jordan visited Maryland and Georgetown over the past two weeks.
- Davon Reed, a 2013 target, will visit Harvard next month.
- Kyle Anderson visited UCLA last Wednesday while in California for the Adidas Nations. He setup a visit to Florida on September 16th for their football game against Tennessee. Anderson was one of the first dozen players selected to participate in the 2011 Boost Mobile Elite 24. The game will air on August 27th at 7PM on ESPNU.
Seton Hall is recruiting St. Pat's (N.J.) Kindell Kinloch. The 2013 forward transferred from St. Raymond's (N.Y.) due to poor grades.
- 2013 forward Jordan Washington has offers from Seton Hall, Miami (FL), Villanova, Xavier, South Carolina and Tennessee. Washington told NYCHoops.com that he is leaning towards staying local for college and that he will play for NIA Prep (N.J.) this winter.
- Seton Hall is now recruiting 2013 PF Isaiah Watkins of St. Benedict's (N.J.) Watkins has been offered by Missouri, Arkansas, Virginia and Cincinnati.
- The Pirates are no longer one of the schools that are recruiting 2013 G Tyler Ennis (St. Benedict's, N.J.) the hardest.
- Seton Hall is recruiting 11 of Jay Gomes' Top 25 rising juniors in NJ & 9 of the Top 10. The only junior that Seton Hall is not recruiting is Jaren Sina, who was a target before committing to Alabama during his sophomore season at Gil St. Bernard's (N.J.)