Only St. John's and Seton Hall watched Anderson at St. Anthony's (NJ) open gym yesterday. Is that writing on the wall? (SNY.tv)
Just when a fan base's lust for a star recruit looked to be at an apex, the bar has yet again been raised.
Kyle Anderson, the potential biggest recruit in Seton Hall Basketball history, scored a whopping 61 points in the NJ Playaz second iS8/Nike Fall Tip-Off Classic game earlier today. Admittedly, the Playaz did win 131-91 and IS8 isn't known for being saturated with Aaron Crafts. However, 61 points, 8 boards and a handful of other statistical accumulation is impressive in just about any venue. For more on Anderson's performance today including a few quotes, check out Daniel Martin's piece on JohnnyJungle.com.
Throughout his high school and AAU career, Anderson has been touted as a multi-talented individual. He can pass, handle the ball, rebound - you name it. One thing that isn't listed under Anderson's laundry list of strengths is an ability to score at will. Now, its probably safe to say that Kyle can score a lot of points when he wants to.
With less than 10 days left until Anderson's college decision is made public, the remainder of this exciting yet grueling process is starting to take form. Anderson is hosting UCLA for an in-home visit tonight, Florida on Monday and Seton Hall on September 18th. Kyle will take his official visit to Florida on the 16th and 17th.
With his recruitment debatably down to two or three schools, much can still happen between now and the night of September 19th. Will Florida surprise the three favorites (UCLA, Seton Hall & St. John's) and make a late push? Is Georgetown as far behind as most sources think they are? I have my suspicions, but only time will tell.
For a smorgasbord of recruiting updates, including details on a very talented local guard that Seton Hall hosted today, follow the jump.
Seton Hall hosted 2013 SG Davon Reed of Princeton Day School (Princeton, NJ) and Team Final (AAU) on an unofficial visit today. According to Scout.com, Reed is the 13th best shooting guard in his class and and 78th best overall player in the Class of 2013 according to Rivals.com.
According to Alex Kline of TheRecruitScoop.com, Reed said the following of his visit, "I had a great time today. The coaching staff was really nice & welcoming." Davon has received interest from plenty of high majors, including Missouri and NC State this past week, but has yet to really blow up. Reed holds offers from West Virginia, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Temple, VCU and several mid-majors.
- Members from all five coaching staffs that are recruiting Kyle Anderson were expected at St. Anthony's (NJ) open gym yesterday but only Kevin Willard and Steve Lavin showed up. Is this a sign of a two horse race or is it too much to expect non-local staffs to fly in for an open gym?
- Seton Hall, Kentucky, Florida, Villanova and more are involved with behemoth 2015 center Karl Towns (St. Joe's Metuchen, NJ). For more on the 6'10 freshman, check out Alex Kline's interview and Philly.com's feature on the budding prospect.
- With this past Friday marking the beginning of this fall's recruiting contact period, Seton Hall staff got out and watched local prospects Kyle Anderson 2012, Hallice Cooke 2013, Tyler Ennis 2013, Tyler Roberson 2013 & Isaiah Briscoe 2015 workout. Pittsburgh offered Tyler Roberson this evening.
- It was undecided whether 2013 G target Geno Thorpe (Shaler HS, PA) would transfer to a local school. Thorpe was contemplating making a move to either St. Benedict's (NJ), Hudson Catholic (NJ), or St. Anthony (NJ). However, I confirmed with a staff member of NBESports.com that Thorpe is staying at Shaler, located in Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2013 SG target Hallice Cooke of St. Anthony (NJ) has set visits to Virginia, Virginia Tech, VCU and will visit St. Joe's and Richmond.
- 2013 G target Josh Brown of St. Anthony (NJ) unofficially visited Temple this Thursday.
- 2012 PF target Chris Obekpa has in-home visits with UCLA and Cincinnat tomorrow.
- Arizona offered 2015 PG target Isaiah Briscoe of St. Benedict's (NJ) today.
- Oklahoma State has offered 2013 PG target Tyler Ennis of St. Benedict's (NJ).
- 2013 F target Jordan Washington left Pathways College Prep (NY) and has enrolled at the IMG Academy (Florida).