Crime at the University of Virginia was down 40% this weekend.
With June 15th marking the start of a recruiting period which includes the unlimited calling and texting of recruits, information has been flooding the internet. New recruiting targets on the board, old targets committing elsewhere and Aquille Carr's performance at the NBPA Top 100 Camp are all topics that we will discuss.
First, the commitments. On Monday afternoon, 2013 SG Kevin Johnson (Summit Country Day School, Ohio) committed to Mick Cronin and the Cincinnati Bearcats. Although he attracted interest from plenty of other high-majors, Scout.com mentioned Minnesota, Seton Hall and Butler as a few schools that had offered Kevin and were recruiting him recently. When I spoke to Kevin last fall, he seemed very fond of the East Coast despite having strong ties to the Midwest. Johnson had even tweeted that he was "Pirates bound" shortly after his visit to South Orange.
Kevin led Summit Country Day to their first State Championship in their history this season. He averaged 11PPG, 8APG & 6RPG for head coach and former NBA player Michael Bradley.
Later on Monday, the news broke that 2012 PF Chris Obekpa (Our Savior New American, NY) committed to Steve Lavin and St. John's. Obekpa had been offered by Seton Hall and basically every other high-major that recruited him. Touted as a skilled shot blocker above everything else, he is certainly a huge pickup for St. John's this late in the game. Obekpa will join his high school teammate Felix Balamou as well as Darrick Wood, JaKarr Sampson and JuCo commits Orlando Sanchez and Marco Bourgault at St. John's.
More recently, high school teammates Daiquan Walker and Savon Goodman committed to Central Florida and UNLV on Friday, respectively. The Constitution (Pa.) seniors are great gets for both coaching staffs, assuming Savon Goodman qualifies, which seems highly unlikely.
For news on several new recruiting targets, scouting evaluations and more, follow the jump.
2013 commit Aquille Carr was invited to this weekend's NBPA Top 100 Camp. So far, Carr has impressed. After being sidelined for the action on Day 1, Carr was leading the camp in scoring with 15.5PPG after Friday's action -- Carr was also averaging 3APG and 3RPG. Aquille posted 18 points, 6 boards and 3 assists in Game 1 action on Friday. After another solid performance yesterday, Aquille was named to the camp's All Star Team as a guard.
Here is what the scouts have to say:
Aquille Carr getting buckets in full attack mode. Fearless don't let the size fool you!! Think Andrew Lavender! ~ Reggie Rankin, ESPN Recruiting Analyst
Aquille Carr is fastest guy here. Has to value the ball and cut down turnovers. ~ Dave Telep, ESPN Recruiting Analyst
NBESports provided an excellent report of Aquille Carr's performance on Friday. A must read.
Hoop Mixtape sponsored this gem of Aquille Carr. Ankle brace stock just went up.
- Despite saying that he was no longer interested in Seton Hall after they received a commitment from Aquille Carr in January, Jaren Sina is not only listing Seton Hall but saying they are one of his likely destinations. "There’s a pretty good chance I stay in the area with Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and Seton Hall," he told NBESports this weekend. The "street" tends to think that Sina will end up at Rutgers but with Carr's academic status questionable, you never really know.
- There has been increased recruiting activity for 2014 SG Rashard Figures of the NJ Playaz as he picked up offers from Rhode Island and Delaware on Friday. Additionally, Rashard scheduled unofficial visits to Seton Hall next Wednesday and UConn on Thursday. Rashard has attracted plenty of mid-major interest in the past and is just now starting to collect offers while also receiving high-major interest. George Mason, Cincinnati, La Salle and Boston University have also contacted Rashard.
- Tilton School's (NH) Goodluck Okonoboh has a list chock full o' high-majors, one of which is Seton Hall. He told NBESports that he has a loose list of "West Virginia, Missouri, Syracuse, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Gonzaga, Seton Hall, Temple, and a few more." The 2013 forward is AAU teammates with Seton Hall target Rene Castro on BABC.
- Kevin Willard and his staff have expressed interest in a few Floridian recruits in the past such as Carlos Morris and Ian Baker. The staff's search for talent in the Sunshine State and more specifically Arlington Country Day (FL) has perpetuated with preliminary interest in 2014 PF Michael Gilmore of the D12 Warriors (FL.) Gilmore has also heard from South Carolina and Miami (FL.) Arlington Country Day is the same school that the aforementioned Carlos Morris and Ian Baker have laced up at.
- 2014 guard Ja'Quan Newton (Neumann-Goretti, PA) has a working list of "Auburn, Maryland, Seton Hall, Virginia, Georgetown, Miami, Villanova, Temple and Rutgers." Newton is a consensus Top 50 player in the Class of 2014 and has collected offers from the likes of Georgetown, Miami (FL), Syracuse, Villanova, Virginia, Penn State and many others.
- Mutual interest between Seton Hall and 2013 Hotchkiss (CT) forward Austin Colbert has flared up recently. Colbert said that he "really likes" Florida, Baylor, Georgetown and Seton Hall. Austin also said that he has the best relationships with the staffs of these four schools. Colbert is currently at the same NBPA Top 100 camp as 2013 commit Aquille Carr. Here is what some of the scouts have said about Austin:
After 3 sessions Austin Colbert is showing more aggressive style of play. Always had talent but didn't assert himself. Different today. Nice ~ Steve Keller, National Recruiting Report
Austin Colbert is always talking & has high levels of enthusiasm. Gonna be a good player for a lucky coach.
Austin Colbert has been talking non-stop all game...great teammate, high motor, soft touch from the floor.
Austin Colbert showing some physicality (could be a word) and aggression I didn't know he had. Finishing
really well inside. ~ Jeff Borzello, CBSSports
Austin Colbert has being playing physical and being aggressive here at Top 100. That is a major addition to
his game. ~ Jonathan Watford, Hoops Scout
Austin Colbert has made some real nice improvements in his game over the past year. ~ Alex Schwartz, NorthStarBBall
Austin Colbert is looking good on the court next to me. Can score in a variety of ways.~ Josh Paunil, National Recruiting Spotlight
Kuran Iverson coming on real strong. Impressive ability. Unstoppable at times. ~NBPA Top 100 CampI look over at the other court & see Kuran Iverson put someone on a poster. Best dunk I've seen the whole camp. Coming to a mixtape near you ~ Josh Paunil, National Recruiting SpotlightThis is probably the best I've ever seen Kuran Iverson play, to be honest. The 6'8 2013 SF has really come to play today. If Iverson plays like this consistently--both with effort & production--then he has a very bright future ahead of him on the hardwood. Has been really nice performance by Kuran Iverson in this one. Played lot of PG, actually. Has had some really nice/tough buckets at the rim ~
The Run Down:
- 2015 G Malachi Richard of Trenton Catholic (NJ) is favoring Seton Hall, Syracuse and Miami (FL.) Malachi is only a sophomore but he has some real talent.
- Reggie Cameron of Hudson Catholic (NJ) took an unofficial to Villanova on Friday for the Villanova Team Camp. He responded to a Villanova fan's questions by saying "Everything was great."
- Seton Hall is officially off of Davon Reed's list. There was once a boat load of mutual interest and now there is none.
- JuCo target Karrington Ward will transfer from Kankakee CC to Indian Hills CC (IA). Seton Hall has offered the All-American.
- Per a source, 2012 forward Demetric Austin of Springbrook HS in Maryland will likely prep next year due to grade issues. In January, Demetric had narrowed his potential college suitors down to St. Peter's, DePaul and Seton Hall.
- 2013 target Roddy Peters of DC Assault had an "outstanding morning game" on Friday at the NBPA Top 100 Camp. Rivals has pegged Roddy as the 108th best player in the Class of 2013. As of earlier this year, Peters had offers from Maryland, Seton Hall and St. Joe's.