While Seton Hall fans are enjoying the warm (too warm) weather and Seton Hall students are doing anything but school work, the Seton Hall coaching staff is working up a sweat on the July recruiting trails. Containing three, five day evaluation periods and a basket full of top notch AAU events, July is the month for mid-major labeled kids to prove they should be given a chance in a major conference and it is the month for college coaches across the country to spot these kids and, you guessed it, express interest -- the most commonly used phrase in the college recruiting universe.
Shaheen Holloway and Kevin Willard trekked down to the DMV (a Seton Hall recruiting hot spot) this week to evaluate prospective targets and make a push for current targets at the Nike Skills U Academy and the Nike Global Challenge event.
Kevin Willard was evaluating current Seton Hall targets 2013 G/F Kuran Iverson (Northwest Catholic, CT), 2013 F Austin Colbert (Hotchkiss, CT) and 2014 F Dakari Johnson (Montverde Academy, FL) as well as new target 2014 Theo Pinson of Wesleyan Christian (NC) at the Nike Global Challenge. All four players suited up for Team USA en route to a 100-86 win over Canada in the event final.
Pinson listed Seton Hall among numerous other high majors as being involved in his early recruitment. Based on what Theo told NBESports, Duke looks to be his dream school.
Austin Colbert is still listing Seton Hall in his top five along with Texas, Florida, Baylor and Georgetown. NBESports noted that Kevin Willard was watching Austin very closely this weekend.
Confusingly, Adam Zagoria tweeted that Kuran Iverson is no longer listing Seton Hall but then noted that Kevin Willard was evaluating Kuran. Iverson also told CBSSports a month ago that he was interested in visiting Seton Hall. Ah, don't you love to follow recruiting?
Seton Hall offered a 2013 guard from the DMV that they have following and are after an elite 2014 wing from Minnesota. Follow the jump for the details.
- After an impressive showing at the Nike Skills U event, 2013 SG Josh Hart (Sidwell Friends, DC) received an offer from Seton Hall on Friday. Miami (FL) and UConn followed up with offers of their own yesterday (sort of.)
- Devin Williams has been hearing from Seton Hall since June 15th -- the coaching staff has also extended an offer. Several other high majors have also been hounding the Class of 2013 power forward. Williams is rated as the 76th best player in the Class of 2013 by Rivals and plays for Ohio Basketball Club, the same AAU team that former target Kevin Johnson hoops for. Devin told NBESports that he has been hearing from Seton Hall (along with other schools) "almost on a daily basis."
- RaShawn "Pookie" Powell (Dr. Phillips, FL) plans on cutting down his list and start taking visits in September. The 2013 PG is still listing Seton Hall along with Memphis, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, Missouri and UCF.
- There is a new recruiting target on the board in 2014 wing Rashad Vaughn of Robbinsdale (MN). Rashad is rated as the 20th best player in the Class of 2014 by Rivals and is listing Baylor, Kansas, Syracuse, Minnesota, Iowa State, Texas, Tennessee and Seton Hall.
- Seton Hall has expressed some type of interest in wing Kamall Richards, who will prep at either St. Benedict's Prep (NJ) or St. Thomas More (CT) this season. I wouldn't expect much to come of this.
- Abdul-Malik Abu (Kimball Union Academy, NH) has been in "constant contact" with Seton Hall, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and Missouri since June 15th. According to various scouts, Abdul-Malik's stock has risen dramatically this summer.
- 2013 guard Kahlil Dukes (Capital Prep, CT) is currently a mid-major prospect but expects to receive interest from Providence and Seton Hall this summer, whatever that means. USC is the only high-major that has offered Kahlil.
- The staff offered 2014 forward Bonzie Colson (St. Andrew's School, RI) of BABC. Rhode Island and Boston College have also offered. Here is Bonzie's NERR profile.
- 2015 guard Bryant Crawford was offered by Seton Hall last week. Crawford has also been offered by Georgetown, Indiana, Rutgers, South Florida and Texas,
- Seton Hall offered 2014 SG Rashard Figures (Hackensack, NJ) on Thursday after showing plenty of interest since June 15th.
- One time Seton Hall target Jairus Lyles has committed to VCU. The 2013 SG is a product of DeMatha Catholic (MD).
- Here is an updated list of which schools have offered 2014 Dwayne Morgan, the list includes Seton Hall. Morgan runs with B'more Elite on the AAU circuit.
- Targets Dwayne Morgan, Tyler Roberson and Roddy Peters all made the 2012 Reebok Breakout Challenge All Star Team.
- I left the best for last. Remember the name Jevon Thomas? Well apparently the one time St. John's commit and now one time Dayton commit is "mulling interest" from several schools, including Seton Hall -- Thomas is now a member of the Class of 2013. Based on the high-majors that Jevon is listing, the multiple schools he has attended, the two schools he has decommitted from and the fact that he got kicked out of a Hoop Group camp for fighting (unconfirmed), I hope this interest is not mutual. There are so many better and more stable targets on Seton Hall's radar.