As the early signing period (November 14th-21st) for college seniors fast approaches, Class of 2013 recruits are beginning to trim their extensive lists of suitors and plan official visits. Following the final July evaluation period, this past week has seen quite a few commitments and narrowed lists, some of which included Seton Hall targets.
2013 PG Roddy Peters (Suitland HS, MD) had announced his final six on Wednesday, which didn't include Seton Hall. Curiously, Peters informed media members less than a day later that he was adding Seton Hall to his list, extending it to seven. While Georgetown, Maryland, Rutgers, UCLA, Xavier, Memphis and Seton Hall remain alive for Roddy, the word on the street is that he is a Maryland lean.
Like Roddy Peters, another 2013 PG target's list shrunk this week -- RaShawn Powell (Dr. Phillips HS, FL). Similar to Peters, Powell also included Seton Hall in his final seven, along with Illinois, Memphis, Murray State, Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech and Alabama.
Moving to the front court, 2013 F Tyler Roberson (Roselle Catholic, NJ) narrowed his collegiate focus last night by announcing his final ten schools. Alabama, Florida, SMU, Villanova, Kansas, Kentucky, Rutgers, South Carolina and Syracuse join Seton Hall on Tyler's list. Essentially a consensus Top 50 player, Roberson would be my first choice if the staff were to take a Class of 2013 commitment from a forward.
Another local target is looking to minimize his list soon in 2013 SF Reggie Cameron (Hudson Catholic, NJ). Reggie also intends on producing a lucky seven list of schools shortly, while currently listing Seton Hall, West Virginia, Indiana, North Carolina, UConn, North Carolina State, Florida, USC, Cincinnati and more. Alex Bozich wrote a nice story over at InsidetheHall on Reggie after receiving an offer from Indiana last week. Cameron took an unofficial visit to North Carolina State on Friday.
Seton Hall received an unofficial visit from 2015 PG Malachi Richardson (Life Center Academy, NJ) on Saturday night -- we were told that the visit went well. Malachi displayed all sorts of talent when I saw him play in the Hoop Group Tip-Off Showcase last December against St. Anthony (NJ). The Friars smothered a Brandon Taylor-less Trenton Catholic (Taylor sprained his ankle after getting into early foul trouble), holding TCA to 33 points. Despite his team's struggles, Richardson tallied twelve points, including two treys. It was a very impressive performance from a freshman, against a superior team, in front of dozens of D-I coaches. Richardson has opted to transfer from TCA to Life Center for his sophomore season.
For more recruiting tidbits, follow the jump.
- 2013 G Isaiah Lewis is in the process of setting up visits to Louisville, Southern California and Memphis. Lewis has already been on the campuses of Seton Hall and Villanova this summer. Formerly a Christ the King (NY) Royal, Isaiah will transfer for his senior season and is considering several schools, as previously noted in another piece.
- Will Ferguson is still listing interest from Seton Hall, along with several other high majors. The 2013 PG from Herndon (VA) told NBESports that Central Florida and West Virginia are probably recruiting him the hardest, although Bob Huggins has not offered Ferguson yet and his interest in Central Florida might have waned due to the sanctions handed down by the NCAA.
- Seton Hall, Miami (FL) and Nebraska have inquired about 2013 G/F Garland Owens (Massanutten Military Academy, VA) since his showing in the Reebok Breakout Camp in early July. Until recently, Owens had only received low-major basketball interest while also picking up interest from James Madison, Temple and Towson on the gridiron.
- 2014 F Abdul-Malik Abu's recruitment has continued to skyrocket this summer. UConn, Miami and West Virginia have all offered Abu, who plans on visiting UConn later this month.
- 2014 PG Phil Booth (Mount St. Joseph, MD) has received offers from Iowa and George Washington this week. Booth told Edgar Walker of MDHoops.net that Ohio State, Maryland, Syracuse, Georgetown and Villanova are standing out right now while Indiana, South Florida and SMU are also in the mix. We will keep tabs on whether or not Seton Hall stays in the running for the B'More's Finest guard.
- Marquette has offered 2013 SG Miles Overton (St. Joseph's Prep, PA).