For many Pirate fans, fall has not been the most pleasant of seasons. Many serious targets have committed elsewhere: Jaren Sina (twice), Kyle Anderson last fall, Shaquille Thomas and Jarelle Reischel in 2010, the list continues. I wouldn't blame Seton Hall faithful if they strayed from following recruiting this fall as many have experienced a painful past. Some have already become anxious following Roddy Peters' lack of interest in Seton Hall, RaShawn Powell's commitment to Memphis, Tyler Roberson's elimination of Seton Hall and most recently, Reggie Cameron's commitment to Georgetown. Perhaps the most painful admission is that Roberson kept Rutgers on his list as his local option instead of Seton Hall. Regardless, the recruiting wheel keeps turning.
While Tyler Roberson shed Seton Hall off his list on Sunday and Reggie Cameron chose Georgetown this morning, Austin Colbert (Gill St Bernards, NJ) released his final four schools yesterday afternoon. Miami (FL), Illinois, Vanderbilt and Seton Hall all made the 2013 forward's reduced list. Austin has already taken his official visit to Miami, will visit Illinois this Saturday for their football game against Penn State (Go State!) and will trip to Vanderbilt for Midnight Madness. Colbert has not scheduled a visit to Seton Hall yet and says he will decide next month. With Roberson and Cameron off the board, Colbert is the last man standing of the local trio.
Beyond Austin Colbert, there doesn't seem to be any highly rated Class of 2013 recruits that are likely to commit this fall, but there is still some hope in the most unlikely of forms. 2012 SG Torian Graham (Creedmoor Christian Faith Center Academy, NC) told Adam Zagoria last Friday that he has recently heard from Seton Hall and Oregon. Torian also stated that he is partially cleared by the NCAA and is looking to be accepted to a school in order to be academically cleared quicker. Graham had been committed to North Carolina State several times and has attracted major interest from programs such as Indiana, Villanova, Louisville and Memphis. While this situation reeks of Savon Goodman, why not take a shot at a consensus Top 100 recruit on the off chance that their academic situation pans out. What's curious is that Seton Hall does not currently have any scholarships open and Torian has made it clear that he wants to play immediately. Landing Graham this late would be an Aquille Carr-like coup that the Catholic Church would have to put on miracle watch.
- When Garrett Tucker of Future150 first tweeted that Isaiah Lewis' top five consists of USC, USF, St. John's, Seton Hall and Dayton, I was skeptical of these schools having mutual interest in Isaiah. It turns out that I was right and wrong. Seton Hall and Dayton watched Lewis work out at The Patrick School (NJ) last Tuesday, confirming that at least two of those schools are interested. Contrarily, Zach Braziller of the New York Post told me that three of Lewis' top five schools are not interested in the 2013 shooting guard's services. (Isaiah used to play for Christ the King (NY), explaining how Zach knows a bit about his recruitment.) You do the math.
- Seton Hall has offered 2014 PF Tariq Owens (St. Vincent Pallotti, MD) of Baltimore's Finest (AAU). Owens has also received offers from South Florida and Florida Gulf Coast to go along with recent interest from VCU, Miami (FL), and George Mason. Here is a detailed scouting report of Tariq's game: link.
- 2014 Dwayne Morgan (St. Frances, MD) is currently listing Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Georgetown, UNLV, Louisville and Seton Hall as his top schools. Seton Hall watched the Baltimore's Finest small forward work out two weeks ago.
- Kevin Willard and several other high profile coaches watched 2015 big man Karl Towns (St. Joseph's-Metuchen, NJ) work out last night.
- I've removed 2013s Will Ferguson, Tim Quarterman and Karrington Ward (JuCo) from the Seton Hall Recruiting Map. I've learned that Ferguson seems to be favoring UCF and West Virginia, Quarterman has not mentioned Seton Hall in quite some time and Ward hasn't dropped Seton Hall's name in several months. 2015 PF Horace Spencer (William Tennent, PA) has been added to the Map after visiting Seton Hall and receiving an offer in late August.
- 2013 G/F Jason Boswell has transferred to Quality Education (NC).
- For your daily dose of comedy, 2013 PG Jevon Thomas is still listing Seton Hall along with several high majors that are probably not recruiting him. Yes, the same Jevon Thomas that committed to Dayton, de-committed from Dayton, reclassified to the Class of 2013, has played at multiple high schools and allegedly got kicked out of an AAU event for fighting.